Mackerel Fish Curry ('Kari Ikan Kembong')
- 600 gm mackerel ('ikan kembong') cleaned
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 200 gm lady's fingers ('bendi')
- 1 x egg plant - quartered
- 2 x tomatoes - quartered
- 2 x green chillies - seeded and halved
- 8 x shallots
- 2 clv garlic
- 1 1/4 x cm (1/2in) ginger
- 10 x dry chillies - soaked
- 2 x fresh red chillies - seeded
- 1 tsp fennel ('jintan manis')
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ('biji sawi')
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 2 stalk lemon grass - bruised
- 1 Tbsp. tamarind paste ('assam jawa') mixed with 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp Maggi ikan bilis granules
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 x salt to taste
- 1/2 x coconut - grated (for 1 1/2 c. coconut lowfat milk)
- Method:SEASON fish with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 to 15 min. Fry fish in warm oil for 1 to 2 min on both sides.
- Heat oil and saute/fry fennel, mustard seeds, curry leaves and lemon grass till fragrant. Add in grnd ingredients and fry till fragrant and oil separates. Pour in tamarind juice and coconut lowfat milk. Bring to a slow boil. Add in eggplant, lady's fingers and green chillies; simmer for 5 - 10 min.
- Put in tomatoes and fish and cook for 5 min. Add in seasoning and bring to a slow boil for 1 to 2 min or possibly till oil comes to the surface.
- Dish out and serve with white rice.
Leave a review or comment