Macaroni, Chicken and Cheese CasserolePrep: 30 min Cook: 35 min Servings: 6by Julia Ann Souders62 recipes>
An easy on your pocketbook comfort dish for the family. It is one of those meals, having leftover chicken, variety of cheeses or cornbread is a good dilemma. ©2007-2014 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken breast, cooked and diced in 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, diced in 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese (or your choice)
- 1/2 cup crumbled cornbread
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Dill weed to sprinkle on top
- Paprika to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Grease a 9 x 9 casserole dish.
- Cook the macaroni in the water according to package directions.
- Drain the macaroni and set aside. Do not rinse.
- Warm the milk in microwave for 2 minutes, let set until ready to use.
- Use a large sauce pan to melt the butter to bubbling.
- Sprinkle in flour; use a whisk to blend the roux, (thickened paste.)
- Cook over low heat.
- Gradually add the warmed milk to the roux, stirring with the whisk.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add seasonings, chicken breast and green pepper.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to blend together.
- Remove from heat, stir in the ricotta cheese and shredded Colby Jack cheese.
- Stir until the cheese has melted and sauce blended.
- Pour the cooked and drained macaroni into the cheese sauce, stir gently. Pour into the greased casserole dish.
- Spread the crumbled cornbread evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the cornbread.
- Sprinkle the dill weed and paprika to your taste on top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
- Let set about 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment