Macaroni And Cheese Ii
- 1 x (16 ounce.) pkg. large elbow macaroni (not the small macaroni like in those boxes of macaroni and cheese)
- 1 lb box Sharp American Cheese (Kraft in the blue box )
- 1 pkt saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 stk butter
- 1/2 x - 3/4 c. cream
- 1/2 x - 3/4 c. lowfat milk Salt, Pepper to taste
- Cook 3/4 of the package macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Grate the cheese. Spray a deep casserole pan with cooking spray. Layer cooked macaroni on bottom of pan and put 4-5 slices of butter around on top of macaroni. Sprinkle crushed crackers, salt and pepper over top. Add in a layer of grated cheese. Repeat starting with macaroni till you reach top of pan and add in crushed crackers for the top layer. Pour cream and lowfat milk over top and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 min or possibly till bubbly and warm and somewhat browned on top. (If it starts to get too brown, cover with aluminum foil to prevent burning.)
- Note: Add in sufficient lowfat milk and cream (or possibly just lowfat milk if you want) to come up to about 1/2 of the pan. If you get too much liquid its soupy, too little and it's dry. If you let it set a few min after taking it out of the oven, it will hard up.
- You can also use Velveeta if you prefer, but the Sharp American give it the better and richer taste (of course, the butter and cream help, too!!).
- This can be made ahead, but do not add in the liquid till just before you bake it. If made ahead, you might have to bake it longer - 45 min to an hour as it would be cool when it goes in the oven.
- To perk up the flavor a bit, add in up to 1 tsp of good mustard, and a little groundnutmeg.
Leave a review or comment