Mabel's Caramel Corn
- 2 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. light corn syrup
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 quarts. freshly popped popcorn
- In 2 1/2 qt saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tartar and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, boil rapidly to the hard-ball stage, 260 degrees (about 5 min). Remove from heat and stir in baking soda quickly but thoroughly and pour at once over popcorn in large roasting pan or possibly baking pan. Stir gently till all kernels are coated. Bake in preheated 200 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring 2 or possibly 3 times during baking. Turn out at once on waxed paper; spread apart and let cold completely. Break apart and store in lightly covered container. Makes 6 qts.
- Tastes Like Cracker Jacks! Experiment putting your favorite nuts in just before pouring over the popped corn.
Leave a review or comment