Lisas' List Of Substitutions A D Part 1
- Allspice: 1/4 t cinnamon + 1/2 t grnd cloves Almonds: 1 poundshelled=1 1/2 c., 1 pound in shell=3 1/2 c. Anise: Fennel or possibly Cumin Anise Seed: Fennel Seed or possibly Caraway Seed Apples: 1 c. minced=1 c. pears minced, + 1 Tablespoons lemon juice Arrowroot: flour for thickening Bacon: Smoked Ham in cooking Baking powdr: 1 tsp. double acting = 1/2 t crm of tartar and 1/4 t soda or possibly 4 t quick cooking tapioca Basil: tarragon or possibly summer savory Basmati: long grain white rice Bay Leaf: thyme Bok Choy: Napa Cabbage, Savoy Cabbage, Green Cabbage Bouquet Garn: 3 sprigs parsley, a bay leaf, 1sprig thyme Brandy: Cognac or possibly Rum Bread Crumbs: 1/4 C dry=1/4 c cracker crumbs or possibly 1/2 slice bread toasted and crumbled or possibly 1/4 C rolled oats or possibly 1/4 C corn flakes crushed or possibly 1/4 C flour Beef Broth: 1 bullion cube + 1 C water= 1 c. or possibly 1 c. beef consomme` Bulger: cracked wheat or possibly brown rice or possibly couscous Butter: margarine, or possibly shortening in baking, do not sub oil Butter 1 c.: 7/8 C shortening or possibly 7/8 C corn oil Buttermilk: 1 C lowfat milk+ 1 3/4 Tablespoons cream of tartar or possibly lowfat sour cream Capers: Minced green olives Capon: Large roasting chicken Cardamom: cinnamon or possibly mace Cayenne: chili pwdr or possibly grnd warm red pepper Celery: green pepper, jicama, bean sprouts, or possibly fennel Celery Seed: dill seed Chervil: parsley, tarragon use less, anise use less Chives: green onion tops, or possibly shallots use less or possibly onion pwdr, or possibly leeks Chocolate: baking, unsweetened, 1 ounce. or possibly square= 3 Tablespoons cocoa pwdr + 1 Tablespoons butter or possibly 3 Tablespoons carob pwdr + 2 Tablespoons water Chocolate: baking, unsweetened, pre melted 1oz. = 3 Tablespoons cocoa pwdr+1T oil or possibly shortening, melted Chocolate: semi-sweet, 6 ounce.
- Chips, bits, or possibly squares= 9T cocoa pwdr+ 7 Tablespoons sugar+3T butter
- Cinnamon: allspice use less;cardamom
- Clove: grnd=allspice;nutmeg,mace
- Corn Meal: grits; polenta
- Corn Starch: flour forthickeningCorn Syrup: 1 1/4 Csugar+1/3 C liquid boiled,light 1 C.
- Cream: Clotted; = heavycream whipped, or possibly sourcream with healthy pinch of bakingsoda or possibly cre`me fraishe
Leave a review or comment