Light Protein Breakfast Soup
Soup for breakfast! Quick to make. Bright flavor. Goes well with tortilla or plain rice. Also a great opener at a dinner party.
- Red Lentil Soup
- 1 c. Red Lentils
- 4 c. Water
- 1 T. Sunflower oil
- 1/2 t. Brown Mustard seeds (yellow = too hot)
- 1/4 Green Chile, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 t. Rock salt
- 2 t. Coriander powder
- 3 T. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 t. Turmeric, powdered
- 2 T. Barley malt (or 1 t. sugary sweetener)
- 1 T. Ginger Root, fresh - chopped
- 1 T. Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Wash lentils.
- Bring to boil, then simmer 15 minutes. [If using a pressure cooker or InstaPot, use 3 c. water instead of 4 c. and cook for 5-10 minutes.]
- In a small frying pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Measure out turmeric.
- When mustard seeds start to crackle and pop, add turmeric to the pan. Then add this oil to the cooked lentils, whether in pressure cooker or pot.
- Add 3 c. water, plus all other spices.
- Over medium heat, cook additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, if using and serve.
- Makes a thin but nutritious soup.
Leave a review or comment