light beef bolognese 8SPPrep: 15 min Cook: 120 min Servings: 8by Wendy Saxena-Smith139 recipes>
One of the best, if not the best bolognese you’ll ever have, it’s hard to believe that this tasty and fragrant dish is so diet friendly and full of nutrition. The thick, meaty sauce is so comforting and delicious and is a perfect winter evening dinner.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean, 4% fat)
- 16 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta according package directions.
- Set a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and mist with cooking spray. Add in the onions and garlic, and sauté until they begin to become tender, about 2 minutes. Now add in carrots and celery, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add in the ground beef, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, oregano and salt & pepper, and cook, while stirring and breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine, and deglaze the pan to remove any browned bits at the bottom. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated off, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and ketchup. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, and simmer while stirring occasionally, until the sauce is rich and thick, about 45 min – 1 hour.
- Add in the milk and butter, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat and spoon over cooked pasta noodles.
Leave a review or comment