Lentils With Sausage And Silverbeet
- 8 ounce sweet Italian turkey sausage (abt 2 links) casings removed, and sausage finely crumbled
- 1/2 c. minced peeled carrot
- 1/2 c. minced onion
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 1/3 c. dry lentils
- 1 x bay leaf
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 c. water or possibly more if needed
- 1 lb Silverbeet - (abt 1 lg bunch) thick ribs and stems cut away and discarded, leaves coars minced Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Saute/fry sausage in large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat till cooked through, about 6 min. Drain any excess fat from skillet.
- Add in carrot, onion and garlic to skillet; saute/fry till vegetables begin to soften, about 5 min. Stir in lentils, bay leaf, fennel seeds and rosemary.
- Add in 2 1/2 c. water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer till lentils are almost tender, about 20 min.
- Place Silverbeet atop lentils; cover and cook till lentils are tender and silverbeet is wilted and tender, adding more water if mix is dry, about 7 min. Stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Throw away bay leaf.
- This recipe yields 2 main-course servings.
- Comments: This satisfying entree goes well with a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette. It would also be nice alongside sea bass.
Leave a review or comment