Lemon Meringue Pie With Candied Lemons And Hazelnut Crust
- 5 x lemons
- 500 gm sugar
- 500 ml water For the Pie Crust
- 1/3 c. hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 x large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel For the Filling
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- 6 x large egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 pch salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter For the Meringue
- 7 x large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 2/3 c. powdered sugar
- Scrub the skin of the lemons very well with a hard brush. Then remove some of the peel in thin stripes with a zester. Slice the lemons very thinly. Layer the lemons on a flat wire basket and lower them into a saucepan. Add in the sugar and water and slowly bring the syrup to a simmer. Place a round of wax paper over the lemons and allow simmering for 10 to 15 min. Remove from the heat and leave the lemons in the syrup for 24 hrs. Thereafter lift the fruit from the syrup and drain. Allow drying in the air. It should be completely dry and hard.
- Grind the hazelnuts finely in a food processor. Add in the flour and mix well. Add in the remaining piecrust ingredients and whiz till moist clumps form. Then turn the mix out onto a floured surface and bring it together with your hands. Wrap the ball of dough in plastic and set aside to rest in the fridge for 45 min.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of waxed paper to fill a glass pie dish. Pierce the crust with a fork and crimp the edges of the crust. Refrigeratefor a further 15 min. Line the crust with some foil and bake blind for 15 min. Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 min, or possibly till golden brown. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, whisk the water, sugar, fresh lemon juice, egg yolks, cornstarch, lemon peel and sugar together over a low heat till the filling begins to thicken and bubbles rise to the surface. Whisk in the unsalted butter and pour the filling into the piecrust.
- Using a hand beater beat the egg whites till foamy. Add in the cream of tartar and one Tbsp. of sugar. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar in a slow and steady stream, till stiff, glossy peaks form. About 8 min.
- Put the meringue over the lemon filling and make sure which it seals with the piecrust at the edges. Bake the pie for 30 min and then reduce the oven heat to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and bake till the meringue is golden, about 50 min.
- Serve the lemon meringue pie with slices of lemon confit on the side.
- Preparation is mediumPreparation time is 1 1/2 hrs and 2 days for the lemon candy
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit For the Lemons
Leave a review or comment