Lemon And Herb Roasted Turkey
- 4 1/2 kg oven ready turkey with giblets
- 450 gm mushroom and olive stuffing
- 125 gm butter softened
- 375 gm pancetta or possibly thinly sliced streaky bacon
- 1 x salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 lrg bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lrg bunch fresh rosemary
- 3 x lemons preferably unwaxed cut into chunks
- 1 lrg spanish onion about
- 450 gm cut into chunks
- 150 ml white wine fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs to garnish
- Follow the instructions for roasted turkey.
- Stuff the neck end only with the mushroom and olive stuffing.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting tin spread with a little butter and arrange slices of pancetta over the breast.
- Place the herbs lemon and onion chunks around the bird season and pour over the wine.
- Cover with a loose tent of foil and roast according to the chart.
- Baste fron time to time.
- Loosen the leg joints if they are tied together tightly after 1 hour.
- Remove the fol and the pancetta to allow the bird to brown 30 min before the end of the cooking time in the roasting oven; 45 min if using the baking oven.
- Check the turkey is cooked.
- Place the pancetta back on the breast cover with foil and a thick towel and set aside to rest for 20 to 30 min before carving.
- Serve with turkey gravy (qv).
- Cooking the turkey with a tittle white wine in the roasting tin ensures rt stays succulent and moist.
Leave a review or comment