Lemon And Garlic Chicken With Spring Market Vegetables
- 3 1/2 lb Whole young chicken
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 tsp Freshly-grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lrg Vidalia onion diced
- 3 x Garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 lrg Lemons, juice and zest reserved
- 1/2 c. Dry white wine
- 1 1/2 c. Warm chicken stock
- 1/2 lb Baby carrots with green tops attached
- 1/2 lb Pencil asparagus
- 5 Tbsp. Butter Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste Fresh thyme leaves
- Cut the chicken into 1/8ths, separating the wings, legs, thighs, and breasts, and season the chicken parts with salt and pepper.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saute/fry pan over medium heat. Add in the chicken, skin side down, and brown well before turning to brown the meat side. When the chicken is well browned, add in the onions, and cook till golden brown-brown. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, add in lemon juice and white wine, bring quickly to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer, cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook for 5 to 8 min. Add in 1 c. of chicken stock and continue to cook, covered, for an additional 15 min, or possibly till the chicken is completely cooked. Add in additional chicken stock if the pan dries out too quickly.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel the carrots and place them in a saucepan with 1/4 c. water and a Tbsp. butter. Season with salt and pepper and cook the carrots for 2 to 3 min over medium heat and set aside. Wash the asparagus and cut off any woody stem attached. Put the asparagus into a pot with 1/4 c. water and a Tbsp. butter and salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 2 min and set aside.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the saute/fry pan and place on a platter. Carefully ladle off any grease which has accumulated on the surface of the stock and swirl in the remaining 3 Tbsp. butter to give a smooth silky finish.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment