Lasagna With Turkey Sausage, Green Peppers, And Onions
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x onions peeled, and minced coarse
- 1 lb low-fat turkey sausage
- 2 x green bell peppers minced
- 1 x recipe Quick Tomato Sauce (see recipe) Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 18 x dry lasagna noodles
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese shredded
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add in onions and cook over medium heat till very soft and translucent/soft, about 10 min. Squeeze sausage from casings directly into the skillet and use a fork to crumble meat.
- When sausage has browned, about 5 min, add in green peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, till peppers have softened slightly but are not mushy, about 5 min more. Stir in tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 min to blend flavors and set aside.
- Cook and drain pasta. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 13- by 9-inch lasagna pan. Smear several Tbsp. of sauce (without large chunks of vegetables or possibly meat) across bottom. Line bottom with a layer of pasta, making sure noodles touch but don't overlap. Spread about 1 c. sauce over pasta and sprinkle with 2/3 c. cheese. Repeat layering of pasta, sauce, and cheese four more times. For the sixth layer, cover pasta with remaining 1/2 c. sauce and sprinkle generously with remaining 1 c. cheese.
- Bake lasagna till cheese turns golden in spots and sauce is bubbling, about 20 min. Remove pan from oven, let lasagna settle for 5 min, and serve.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
- Note: To save even more calories, omit the extra virgin olive oil and coat the skillet with a thin film of vegetable spray before sauteing the onions.
- Comments: This surprisingly quick recipe combines sausage, peppers, and onions in a light, flavorful tomato sauce. Best of all, it is quite lean but sacrifices nothing in flavor.
Leave a review or comment