Kung Pao Tofu
- 5 Tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Chinese sesame oil
- 1/2 x To 1 ts crushed red pepper
- 3/4 lb Very hard tofu cut in bite size cubes
- 1/2 c. Chopped onion
- 2 lrg Or possibly 3 sm celery stalks cut in small dice
- 1 med Carrot, cut in small dice
- 1/2 c. Bamboo shoots cut in small dice
- 1 c. Peas, fresh if possible
- 4 med Garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 x Scallions, whites only cut in 1/2" pcs
- 2 sm Or possibly 1 md zucchini cut first in thin strips then into small dice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. Peanut oil or possibly
- 2 Tbsp. Chinese sesame oil for sauteing
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Peanuts, preferably roasted and unsalted
- 1/2 c. Diced water chestnuts
- 1 c. Lightly toasted cashews
- 2 x Cakes tofu kan or possibly 5-spice tofu
- In a medium-sized bowl combine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper; mix to combine. Add in the diced tofu, and tip the bowl in each direction to allow all the tofu to come into contact with the marinade.
- Cover, and let marinate for at least an hour.
- Prepare the onion, celery, carrot, and bamboo shoots and place these together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine peas, garlic, scallions and zucchini; set aside.
- About 15 min before serving time, place the cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Drain the marinade from the tofu into the bowl. Whisk this mix till the cornstarch dissolves. Set aside, leaving the whisk in the bowl.
- Heat a medium-sized wok. Add in 2 tb. peanut oil or possibly sesame oil. When it is warm, add in the bowlful of onions, celery, etc. and the salt, and stir-fry over high heat for about 5 min.
- Add in the second bowlful of vegetables (peas, garlic, etc.) and stir-fry another 2 to 3 min, keeping the heat high.
- Add in the liquid removed tofu. Stir-fry another 3 to 5 min-till all the vegetables are*just* tender.
- Whisk the cornstarch mix from the bottom and pour it in. Stir-fry several more min, then add in the peanuts. Serve immediately, over rice.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment