King Prawn Ravioli in a Creamy Lemon sauce with a Portuguese TwistPrep: 60 min Cook: 5 min Servings: 4by ruth martins10 recipes>
A Pasta dish for special occasions inspired by a traditional Portuguese snack-King Prawn Rissol-Rissol de Camarao. A light pastry covered in breadcrumbs and filled with a rich, creamy sauce and chunks of juicy king prawns.
- For the Prawn Stock
- All chopped finely
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- Shells from King Prawns
- 1 large bay leaf
- For the Ravioli
- 500gs of shelled King Prawns
- 3 cloves of garlic-minced
- 100gs of unsalted butter
- 50gs of plain flour
- 50gs of finely chopped parsley
- Fresh pasta-as much as you think you may need
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Sauce (depending on how much you would like)
- 1 to 2 cups of double cream
- 1 to 2 cups of freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice-freshly squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make your stock at least 1 1/2 hours before your ravioli.
- De-shell the prawns and add the chopped onion, carrot, and bay leaf to the shells and put in a large pot. Cover with water. Let it come to a boil and then simmer on a low heat for at least 1 hour.
- When the stock is ready put it through a sieve it until it runs nice and clear.
- Then melt 50gs of butter in a pan and add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Don't let the garlic turn brown or burn.
- Add the Prawns/shrimps and cook for 3 minutes, until they turn pink.
- Chop the prawns into large chunks and set them aside
- In the same pan, add the remaining butter and let it melt.Then add the flour and mix it well.
- Then gradually add 3 to 4 large spoons of the prawn stock to make a creamy yet thicker than usual roux/sauce.
- Add the prawns and parsley and season to taste.
- You should end up with a nice, chunky mixture, that sticks really well to the spoon.
- Cut the pasta into round shapes. the size is up to you, depending on how big you would like your ravioli to be. Mine were quite large.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture in the middle of the disks. Make sure that the edges are clear.
- Moisten the edges with warm water and cover the disk with another disk and seal them together
- Set the ravioli aside and cover them with a slightly dampened cloth while you prepare your sauce.
- Fill a pan with boiling water-for the ravioli and season it with salt.
- Place your cream in a pan with the parsley and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the cream starts to thicken.
- Place the ravioli in the pan with boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan with the cream from the heat and add the lemon.
- Place the ravioli in individual dishes, pour over the creamy sauce and garnish with some prawns and parsley.
Leave a review or comment