Kidney Bean Chili with Turkey, Tempeh, or BeefPrep: 20 min Cook: 2 hours Servings: 8by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
This is reminiscent of the chili my mother used to make. It is hearty and flavorful. I make it with turkey, the base recipe is for beef, and my good friend makes it with tempeh. Take your pick...it's delicious any way you make it. Good choices for condiments are diced tomatoes and avocado, chopped green or red onions, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and shredded jack or cheddar cheese.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut in 1/2 inch squares
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I leave this out of the portion my kids are going to eat)
- 2 pounds ground turkey (or tempeh or ground beef)
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato puree (I puree diced tomatoes in the blender)
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium eat until almost smoking. Add the onions, garlic bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne (if using) and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Increase heat to med-high and add half the ground meat. Cook, breaking up into chunks with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula, until no longer pink and just starting to brown, 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining meat and repeat.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, and stirring occasionally for 1 hour. Remove the cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup more water if the chili begins to stick to the bottom. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and cayenne to taste. Serve with lime wedges and condiments as desired.
Leave a review or comment