Judy's Southern Fried Chiles Rellenos
- 12 lrg Green chiles (New Mexico or possibly Poblano) (2-3 per person as entree)
- 1/2 lb Cheese (Co-jack, or possibly Jack, or possibly pepper jack cheese) cut in 1/2" x 3" strips
- 1 c. Flour plus
- 1 tsp Baking pwdr (or possibly use self-rising flour)
- 1 c. Nonfat buttermilk
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Soda
- 1/2 lrg Onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Salad oil
- 2 can Tomatoes (liquid removed and
- 4 med Fresh tomatoes, processed
- 1 can (8 ounce.) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Chopped garlic Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Sugar
- TO PREPARE CHILES:Before roasting, puncture with knife to prevent bursting!! Roast chiles individually over gas flame, or possibly place under gas broiler, or possibly in preheated 400 d. oven till charred and blistered. Place in a paper bag or possibly in covered casserole for 10 min to steam. Peel chiles.
- Make a slit in the stem end of each chile and remove seeds if you like. I don't remove seeds as I cannot do it without tearing up the chile. Insert a strip of cheese into each chile. Stuff carefully to avoid breaking.
- To coat chiles, dip stuffed chiles into flour and then into batter. Fry in deep fat till golden, turning once. Remove from fat and serve with heated sauce. May be served over rice, if you like.
- Batter: 1 c. flour and 1 teaspoon baking pwdr or possibly use self-rising flour, 1 c. nonfat buttermilk, 2 Large eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp soda. Sift or possibly stir together dry ingredients. Beat Large eggs slightly and combine with buttermilk.
- Add in to flour mix, stirring to mix. Should be about the consistency of pancake batter. Add in water if too thick. (1/2 recipe will do 6 - 8 chiles.)
- Sauce : Half a large onion, minced, 2 Tablespoons salad oil, 2 cans tomatoes
- (liquid removed and processed) or possibly 4 medium fresh tomatoes, processed, (8 ounce.) cans tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, salt and pepper, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1 tsp sugar. Saute/fry onion in medium saucepan. Puree tomatoes and garlic in blender. Strain. Add in to onion in pan. Add in and correct seasonings.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 min. Add in tomato sauce and simmer sauce while preparing and frying chiles.
Leave a review or comment