Italian Sloppy Joes
These started out as meatball subs from my grandmas recipe, but we wanted them now and not in 9- 12 hours so we just browned them instead slow cooking. Family favorite now and super quick
- 1 lb ground turkey (less grease left in pan)
- 1 egg
- Bread Crumbs- you'll be the judge of how much you need.
- Seasoning- I use garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, Italian blend( includes marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano and basil.)
- Parmesan Cheese (powder)
- 1 jar of Ragu original sauce
- 7 oz bag of Kraft shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Vienna style hoagie roll per person
- 1tsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of fresh minced garlic
- In a large mixing bowl, mix meat and seasoning by hand. This will get messy :)
- In TBSP increments, add the breadcrumbs and fold in until mixture stays completely together in a round shape. After about 2 TBSPs add egg and mix. *I add just a pinch of Parmesan to this mix as a surprise.
- Heat sauce pan to medium high.
- add oil and garlic until pan is seasoned.
- add entire meat mixture to pan, be careful of oil spray.
- Brown the meat.
- Add the Jar of Ragu to the pan.
- bring to boil then let simmer for 2 minutes
- While simmering, Turn oven to a low broil and set rack close to the heating coils
- Slice the bread open, either as a sub sandwhich, or "Canoe Style"
- Line the rolls with a pinch of Mozzarella
- fill with the meat mixture then top with plenty of mozzarella
- Broil and keep a close eye on them until the tops are a golden brown.
- I cut the joes in half and let the oozing cheese string when i Serve them. Enjoy!
Leave a review or comment