Italian Easter BreadPrep: 25 min. + min Cook: 30 min. + min Servings: 1by Evelyn Scott106 recipes>
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Add milk and butter; beat 2 minutes on medium.
- Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes on high
- . Stir in fruit, nuts and aniseed; mix well.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- If desired, dye remaining eggs (leave them uncooked);
- lightly rub with oil.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each piece into a 24-in. rope.
- Loosely twist ropes and tuck eggs into openings.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350Â° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
Leave a review or comment