Inside Out Cabbage Roll CasserolePrep: 20 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie394 recipes>
Take the drudgery out of making cabbage rolls by layering ingredients lasagna style! Easy to make and hearty, this will be gobbled up at your next dinner, or double the recipe for a potluck.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pound cabbage, shredded (about 1/2 medium head
- 2 ounces mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter or grease a casserole dish and set aside (I used a Pyrex 11-cup 9 x 7 x 2.5 inch baking dish.)
- In large skillet crumble beef and cook with onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. If needed, drain excess fat away.
- Stir in chopped tomato and cook 1 minute; stir in 1/2 can of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, dill weed, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and bacon then remove from heat.
- Layer one third of shredded cabbage in bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers, top with remaining cabbage.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over top and spread evenly. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment