Individual Milk Chocolate Orange Cakes
- Lowfat milk CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 6 ounce Lowfat milk chocolate -- coarsely Minced
- 5 lrg Egg yolks
- 2 tsp Almond extract
- 3/4 c. Toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
- 10 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 7 lrg Egg whites
- 1/4 c. Granulated sugar
- Lowfat milk CHOCOALTE-ORANGE CREAM 7 ounces lowfat milk chocolate - finely minced 3/4 c. heavy cream 3 Tbsp. Grand Marnier DARK CHOCOLATE CURLS 2 ounces semisweet chocolate - in chunk form ORANGE COMPOTE 3 navel oranges 1/2 c. orange juice 2 Tbsp. honey 2 tsp. cornstarch 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier Lowfat milk CHOCOLATE GLAZE 12 ounces lowfat milk chocolate - finely minced 1/2 c. heavy cream 3 Tbsp. heavy cream 2 Tbsp. Amaretto
- MAKE THE Lowfat milk CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Lightly butter an 11 1/2 inch by 17 1/2-inch jellyroll pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Butter the paper and dust the bottom and sides with cocoa pwdr, lightly t apping out the excess. Set the pan aside.
- 2. Heat the chocolate in a double boiler over low eat.
- 3. In a large stainless steel bowl, vigorously whisk together the egg yolks and the almond extract till the mix is thick, about 1 minute.
- Set aside.
- 4. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the toasted almonds and the flour and process till the nuts are grnd to a fine pwdr.
- 5. In a 4 1/2-qt bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed till it is pale and soft peaks begin to create, about 3 to 5 min. Lower the speed, add in the zest and the almond flour and mix till we ll combinedc, about 2 to 3 min. Add in the reserved chocolate, then the yolks, mixing till just combined.
- 6. In a dry, grease-free 4 1/2-qt bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer with the wire whip attachment, beat the egg whites on low speed till frothy. Increase the speed to medium and beat till soft peaks begin to create, 2 to 3 min, then gradually a dd the sugar. Increase the speed to hight and continue to beat till the whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks when the whip is lifted, 1 to 2 more min.
- 7. Using a large rubber spatula, mix 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate-almond-butter mix to lighten it. Gently and quickly mix in another thrid of the whites. Mix in the remaining whites.
- 8. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it proportionately with an offset metal spatula. Bake for 30 min till the cake springs back when lightly touched and the sides pull away from the pan. Cold in the pan for 10 min, then invert onto a cooling rack and remove the parchment paper.
- When the cake has cooled, cut out 18 cake rounds using a 3-inch by 1 3/4 inch metal ring mold. Set the cake rounds aside till ready to assemble the dessert.
- MAKE THE Lowfat milk CHOCOLATE-ORANGE CREAM
- 1. Place the minced chocolate into a medium stainless steel bowl.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream over the chocolate. Allow the mix to stand for 30 seconds to heat the chocolate; whisk gently till smooth. Stir in the orange liqueur. Refrigerat e till thoroughly chilled.
- 3. When chilled, transfer the chocolate cream to a 4 1/2-qt bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer with the wire whip attachment. Beat on medium speed till the mix is light in color and soft peaks start to create. Don't overbeat or possibly the mix will be grainy. Chill till ready to use.
- MAKE THE DARK CHOCOLATE CURLS
- 1. Hot the chocolate slightly by placing it on a piece of waxed paper in a mixrowave oven set on MEDIUM (50 percent) power for 20 second intervals, till it begins to soften. This can take 3 to 6 tries, depending on the wattage of the mixrowave oven, t ype
Leave a review or comment