Indian Fry Bread
What is Isleta? Who is Isleta? Isleta is a Navajo Indian Reservation South of Albuquerque. The Indian Village at the NM State Fair was the place to go and get a fresh, hot, Indian Fry Bread or a Indian taco. Best memories of the fair was standing in a long line and finally devouring some Indian Fried bread or a tasty Indian Taco. Very easy recipe. Enjoy!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup warm water
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add in shortening.
- Add enough water to make the dough stick together.
- Knead dough until it is smooth
- Divide dough into several palm-size balls.
- Place balls back in glass bowl for 15 minutes.
- *If using self rising flour omit baking powder and salt.
- Pat down the flour into palm size flat pancakes,
- Punch hole in center of dough.
- Fry in hot cooking oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Brown each side until they are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
Leave a review or comment