Hot German Potato Salad
- 1 1/4 c. water divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb potatoes peeled, and cut into 3/4" cubes
- 6 slc bacon
- 1 c. minced onions
- 1/4 c. sliced celery
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed crushed
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp brown mustard
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- In a medium saucepan bring 1 c. water and salt to a boil. Add in potato cubes. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 min or possibly till crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium skillet cook bacon till crisp. Strain, reserving 3 Tbsp. drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Add in onions, celery, and caraway seed to reserved drippings. Cook till onions are tender but not brown. Stir in sugar and flour. Add in vinegar, 1/4 c. water, mustard, and pepper. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cooked potatoes and bacon. Cold 10 min. Transfer potato salad to a 8- by 5 1/4-inch disposable foil pan. Cover with foil and chill up to 8 hrs.
- Place chilled potato salad, covered, in center of cooking grate. Cook 35 min or possibly till heated through.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: To cut down on last-minute preparation, make this salad up to 8 hrs ahead, then heat on the grill.
Leave a review or comment