Honey Mustard Beans
- 2 c. dry navy or possibly pea beans, soaked overnight (see note)
- 8 c. water
- 1 lrg onion, diced
- 2 x dry chipotle chilies
- 1 c. tomato ketchup
- 1/4 c. honey mustard
- 1/4 c. honey, or possibly to taste Salt and black pepper
- Drain beans. Combine beans in large pot with 8 c. fresh water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, till just tender, about 1 hour. Skim off any foam which rise to top of pot.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine beans, their cooking liquid, onion, chilies, ketchup, mustard, honey and salt and pepper to taste in bean pot or possibly baking dish and mix well. Cover and bake for about 3 hrs or possibly till beans are completely tender. Check occasionally to make sure beans remain moist and add in more warm water if needed. Remove and throw away chilies. Serve warm.
- Note: For faster soaking, use the quick-soak method: Place beans in pot with water to cover by at least 3 inches. Cover and bring to boil. Boil 2 min.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour before draining and proceeding with recipe.
- by Andrea Chesman
Leave a review or comment