Homestyle Boston Baked Beans
- 1 pound small white beans (navy pea beans may be used, but they come out mushy)
- 1 lg. yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/3 to 1/2 pound salt pork, cut into 6 to 8 pcs
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grnd black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 garlic bud, sliced
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. molasses
- Rinse the beans and place them into a 2 qt saucepan. Cover with water and simmer till they swell up. Add in the onion, salt pork, salt, pepper, dry mustard and garlic bud to the pan.
- Cover and simmer gently till the beans burst. Add in brown sugar and molasses to the mix. (Add in more molasses if you desire a darker color.) Place contents of pan into a bean pot and bake uncovered in a 300 degree oven for about 5 to 6 hrs. Stir the pot every couple of hrs. Add in water as required to obtain desired consistency.
- Recipe may be doubled for a large crowd.
Leave a review or comment