Homemade Franks & BeansServings: 4by Chez la mere373 recipes>
courtesy dinneralovestory.com and This is based on a Victoria Granof recipe from Time for Dinner
- 1 pound dried navy or great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 thick strips bacon
- 3 hot dogs, sliced into rounds as shown
- In a large pan, cover the beans with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. In a bowl, combine everything else except the bacon. Stir in the beans.
- Place 1 bacon strip at the bottom of a large ovenproof dish or Dutch oven. Pour the bean mixture over it, then push the other strip in.
- Add just enough boiling water to the pot to cover everything. Cover the pot with aluminum foil, then a lid. Bake for 5 hours, checking hourly to make sure the beans aren’t drying out. (Add more water as necessary to keep them submerged.) Uncover for the last half hour to brown the top, if desired. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, stir in hot dog slices until warmed through.
Leave a review or comment