Hearty Beef And Barley Soup
- 1/3 c. Whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp Herbal salt substitute
- 1 lb Lean stew meat -- cut into
- 1 x " chunks
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. Minced onion
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped garlic
- 1/2 c. Grated carrots
- 1/2 c. Minced celery
- 1 c. Diced tomato
- 1 c. Barley
- 5 c. Defatted Chicken Stock or possibly Veal stock
- 2 Tbsp. Basil
- 1 x Bay leaf Herbal salt substitute -- to Taste Freshly grnd pepper
- 1. In a shallow bowl combine flour and salt substitute. Dredge chunks of meat in flour mix.
- 2. In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, quickly brown chunks of meat in warm oil. Add in onions and garlic and cook till soft (3 to 5 min). Add in carrots, celery, and tomato and continue cooking for 5 min.
- 3. Add in barley, stock, and basil, and bring to a boil. Crush bay leaf and wrap in piece of cheesecloth or possibly place into a tea ball. Add in to soup. Lower heat to simmer and cook till barley is soft (20 to 25 min). Season to taste with salt substitute and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Makes 8 c..
Leave a review or comment