Hameen Ii (Slow Cooked Chicken And Rice)
- 2 Tbsp. Corn oil
- 1 med Onion, minced (1/2 c.)
- 1 x Chicken, 3 pounds
- 1 c. Minced tomato, fresh or possibly canned
- 2 c. Raw rice, well rinsed
- 1 c. Dry chick-peas, covered in water overnight, liquid removed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 3 c. Water
- Another Hameen, or possibly slow-cooked chicken and rice dish for the Sabbath, this is a contemporary recipe. It can be prepared at any time as long as it is baked slowly and thoroughly. There are great advantages in today's busy world in having a one-dish meal which can be prepared and put in the oven 5 hrs before dinner time.
- 1. Heat the oil in a pan large sufficient to hold all the ingredients. Add in the onion and stir-fry over low heat till golden brown, about 3 min. Add in the chicken and brown lightly on all sides for 5 min.
- 2. Add in the tomato and fry for 2 min. Place the rice all around the chicken, and add in the chick-peas, salt, pepper, paprika and water. Cover the pan tightly, bring to a boil, and simmer on top of the stove for 5 min.
- Then bake in a 200-degree F. oven for 5 hrs ..... the longer, the better.
- The chicken will become quite tender, the rice will be cooked but still moist.
- Serve hot.
Leave a review or comment