Hambelton Hall's Scottish Shortbread
- 1 c. Plus 2t sugar
- 3/4 lb Sweet butter, room temp
- 3 1/4 c. Sifted all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. Sifted cornstarch
- 1. In a large bowl, beat 1 c. of the sugar with the butter till light and fluffy.
- 2. Sift together the flour and cornstarch and gradually mix into the creamed butter. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 225F. Trace a 12-inch circle on a large baking sheet. Pat out the chilled dough to fit the circle, taking care which the top is even and smooth. Score the top of the pastry into 8 equal wedges. Press decorative designs into the edges, if you like.
- 4. Bake the shortbread in the upper middle of the oven for 35 min; don't allow to color. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and let cold on the sheet.
- Break into wedges before serving.
Leave a review or comment