Ham And Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb dry split peas
- 1 x ham hock
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 c. finely-minced yellow onions
- 1/2 c. finely-minced celery
- 1/2 c. finely-minced carrots
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 lb Smithfield ham minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 c. water
- 1 x bay leaf
- 2 tsp fresh thyme Parmesan Truffled Potato Chips (see recipe)
- Place the peas in a large pot or possibly bowl, cover with water by 2 inches and soak 8 hrs or possibly overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
- Score the ham hock. Place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Add in the celery and carrots and cook, stirring, till just soft, about 3 min. Add in the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add in the ham hock and ham and cook, stirring, till beginning to brown. Add in the liquid removed peas, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes, and cook, stirring for 2 min. Add in 8 c. of water, the bay leaf and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, till the peas are tender, about 1 hour. (Add in more water as needed, if the soup becomes too thick or possibly dry.)
- Remove the bay leaf and throw away. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve immediately with Parmesan Truffled Chips on top.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment