Ground Chicken and Bean BakePrep: 30 min Cook: 1.25 hours Servings: 10by Adam Janowski21 recipes>
I’ve had a dish like this many times before, usually at potlucks or picnics, but this was the first time that I tried to make it with chicken instead of ground beef. It turned out so well that I think I will always do it that way. I included the red pepper just to spice it up a bit, but left it optional depending on your taste.
- 5 strips thick cut bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 16 ounce can homestyle pork and beans
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (drained)
- 1 16 ounce can butter beans (drained)
- 1 16 ounce can garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite cut diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In skillet, fry bacon until just lightly browned.
- Add onion and celery and sautÃ© until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken. Sprinkle with Montreal Chicken seasoning, black pepper and red pepper.
- Break up chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard powder.
- Add bacon and ground chicken mixture. Stir until blended.
- Pour into four quart casserole dish, cover, and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove cover, and continue to bake for 15 minutes to lightly brown the top.
- Serves 10.
Leave a review or comment