Ground Beef Mozzarella Potatoes Au GratinPrep: 15 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 6by Wendi Taylor51 recipes>
This twist on the classic recipe turns a typical side dish into a main course. You can substitute 1 lb fully cooked chopped ham or 1 lb fully cooked diced chicken breast or the ground beef.
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large potatoes, quartered & sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground beef, crumbled & browned
- 2 cups chopped mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional (for garnish): sour cream, chives
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, combine milk, butter, corn starch, salt, pepper, and mozzarella cheese. Stir continuously until cheese is melted medium thickness sauce forms.
- Spread potato slices in the bottom of a casserole or baking dish (or a cast iron skillet).
- Spread ground beef and chopped vegetables over potatoes.
- Pour cheese sauce over mixture.
- Cover and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Top with cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 5 - 10 minutes until cheese just begins to brown.
- Top with optional sour cream and chives on individual serving plates.
Leave a review or comment