grilled watermelon and fennel saladServings: 1by Chez la mere373 recipes>
by patiodaddio tastykitchen.com
- 1 slice Watermelon (about 1" Thick And 12" In Diameter)
- 1 bulb Fennel, Quartered
- 1 whole Red Onion, Medium
- 1 whole Lemon, Halved
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ½ cups Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoons Black Pepper, Ground Fresh
- ½ cups Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons Parsley Chopped Fine
- Canola Oil Spray
- Quarter the watermelon slice, arrange the wedges in a single layer in a gallon zip-top bag, and freeze it for about two hours.
- Once the watermelon is frozen, and about 30 minutes before youâre ready to serve, start your grill and prepare for direct cooking over medium-high heat (about 350-400FÂº).
- Cut out as much of the core of each fennel quarter as you can while leaving enough to hold the layers together.
- Quarter the onion, leaving enough of the ends to keep the layers intact.
- Sprinkle the cut end of each lemon half with half of the sugar.
- Spray all sides of the onion and fennel lightly with the canola oil spray.
- Grill both sides of the watermelon just long enough to get light grill marks, then remove it to a platter and refrigerate.
- Grill all sides of the fennel and onion and just the cut side of the lemon halves until each is brown and begins to soften. Then remove to a platter and refrigerate all but the lemon.
- Juice the lemon into a medium-sized mixing bowl, then add the olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine, then set aside.
- Trim any charred portions from the fennel and onion, then slice each, nice and thin (about 1/8â³) and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add about two tablespoons of the dressing to the bowl and toss gently to coat the fennel and onion mixture.
- Cut the watermelon from the rind and into cubes (about 1â³) and add to the bowl and toss gently.
- Pile the salad on a platter, drizzle with the dressing (youâll likely have some left), and top with the feta and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a review or comment