Grilled Tuna Steaks With Green Curry Sauce, Torpedo Onions And Bok Choi
- 4 x bergamot leaves
- 2 stalk lemon grass, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seed, toasted and grnd (5mL)
- 2 tsp coriander seed, grnd (10mL)
- 4 whl green chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/2 c. cilantro leaves, minced (125mL)
- 1/2 c. shallot, chopped (125mL)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced (15mL)
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed (5mL)
- 1 tsp turmeric (5mL)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil (30mL)
- 4 x curry leaves Green Curry Sauce
- 1 x shallot, minced
- 1 clv garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. green curry paste (45mL)
- 1 x 13.4 ounce can coconut lowfat milk, stirred till smooth (398mL)
- 3/4 c. chicken stock (187.5mL)
- 1 x lime, juiced
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce (5mL)
- 3/4 c. organic cherry tomatoes (187.5mL)
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (60mL)
- 1/2 c. Thai basil, minced (125mL) Grilled Tuna Steaks
- 6 x Torpedo onions, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (15mL)
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter (15mL)
- 1 x bay leaf salt freshly grnd black pepper
- 4 x baby bok choi
- 3 Tbsp. butter (45mL)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (15mL)
- 1 x recipe Thai Green Curry Sauce
- 2 x tuna steaks, 4 to 6 ounces each (120-180g each)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine. Use immediately or possibly store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes 1 1/2 c. (375 mL).
- Green Curry Sauce:In a saucepan heat 2 Tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil. Add in the shallots and garlic and sweat till soft but not coloured. Add in the green curry paste and cook for 3-5 min. Add in the coconut lowfat milk, chicken stock, lime juice and fish sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil. Add in the cherry tomatoes and cook till they are just softened and the skins are just breaking. Add in to the curry sauce and simmer for 15 min then keep hot till ready to use. Just before serving add in the Thai basil and simmer for 2 min so which the flavour infuses the sauce. Serve with grilled tuna steaks.
- Grilled Tuna Steaks:Slice Torpedo onions lengthwise into quarters leaving the root end intact. In a cast-iron pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter till warm. Add in the onions and saute/fry for 3-5 min. Add in the bay leaf, salt and pepper and cover with an oven-proof lid. Place in the oven for 30 min, checking periodically, till the onions are soft and golden brown.
- Prepare the bok choi. Remove the leaves from the stem and julienne the stem. Larger leaves can be cut in half. Set aside.
- Place the Thai Green Curry Sauce in a pot and bring to a gentle simmer. Chop the Thai basil and set aside.
- Just as the onions finish cooking, remove the tuna from the refrigerator, brush with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on warm grill and sear each side for 1 to 2 min.
- Heat the butter over high heat in a medium saute/fry pan. When warm add in the lemon juice them the bok choi stems. Toss for two min then add in the leaves and saute/fry till the leaves are just wilted.
- Add in the Thai basil to the curry sauce and simmer for two more min.
- To Assemble:Remove the onions from the oven. Divide the onions between two plates and then do the same with the bok choi. Place a tuna steak on each pile of vegetables. Ladle the Thai green curry sauce over the tuna and serve. Can be served with steamed rice.
Leave a review or comment