Grilled Salmon With Pine Nuts And Epazote Pesto
- 1 c. fresh Epazote or possibly basil tightly packed
- 3 x garlic cloves
- 4 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1/4 c. corn oil
- 5 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 5 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 lb fresh arugula washed, and dry in a spinner
- 1 sm head radicchio torn bite size
- 2 x ears corn
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice Sea salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 lb salmon fillet scaled, boned
- 2 Tbsp. corn oil Sea salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- For the Pesto: In a blender jar place the orange juice, lime juice, garlic and Epazote. Puree till smooth. Add in pine nuts and blend well. While the blender blades are running, slowly pour in the corn oil in a thin stream till puree mix is creamy.
- For the Salad: In a bowl of cool water soak the ears of corn, in their husks, for one hour. After soaking place ears on warm grill, turning with tongs till the husks are well charred. Remove from the grill and let cold to the touch. Remove the husk and slice the kernels off of the cob. Combine corn with other ingredients in a large bowl. Divide among four chilled dinner plate and set aside.
- For the Salmon: Cut salmon into four equal pcs. Brush each piece with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on a warm grill for about 3 min on each side. Place on piece of fish on top of the salad on each plate. Spoon the pesto over the salmon and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: Grilling corn can be tricky but smoking and charring the husk right through to the kernels adds a smoky-sweetness by caramelizing the natural sugars in the corn. It is worth the extra step. Two tips to make sure you get the best results - throughly soak the corn before grilling to make sure the kernels stay moist. And if you do not have time to regularly turn the corn, wrap it in aluminum foil and grab a glass of lemonade while you bask in the sun. Turn the corn every time you get up for a refill.
Leave a review or comment