Grilled Pineapple And Chicken Salad With Adobo Dressing
- 3 x skinless boneless chicken breast halves, approx. 4 ounce. each
- 1 1/2 c. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 c. gold, (aged) tequila
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed pequin chile
- 1 x clove garlic, chopped
- 8 x fresh pineapple rings, approx. 1/2" thick
- 4 lrg leaves of purple kale
- 8 x lettuce leaves
- 2 med kohlrabi, peeled and sliced
- 4 x green onions, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp. Adobo Sauce, see note
- 1 c. fat-free yogurt
- 24 lrg seedless green grapes
- NOTE: See Breasts of Chicken with Adobo Sauce recipe.
- Trim any excess fat and membranes from the chicken and rinse under cool water. Slice the chicken in strips approximately 1/4 inch thick and place in a glass bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the lime juice, tequila, chile, and garlic and pour over the chicken. Cover and chill for 2 hrs.
- Remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature
- (approximately 30 min).
- To make the dressing:Place all the dressing ingredients in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and blend till smooth and pale orange in color.
- To serve:On each of 4 large salad plates or possibly small dinner plates, arrange a leaf of purple kale and two leaves of lettuce.
- Heat a griddle made of a heavy metal such as cast iron on an open fire or possibly stove burner. When warm, grill the chicken strips and pineapple rings till the chicken is done and the pineapple has browned. This will happen very rapidly, from 3 to 5 min depending on how warm your fire is.
- When the chicken and pineapple are done, place 2 rings of pineapple on each plate of lettuce leaves, and arrange the chicken strips and kohlrabi over the pineapple. Spoon a tablespoonful of the adobo dressing over the top. Garnish the plate with half a green onion on each side and serve.
- Dressing yield: Approx. 2 c.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: This is great served at a patio party. Give everyone a tall cool drink such as gold tequila, cranberry juice, and club soda and serve this hot salad with flour tortillas which have been steamed with white wine.
- The adobo dressing is also nice served with a shrimp and avocado salad or possibly as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or possibly fish.
Leave a review or comment