Grilled Chicken With Coriander And Cumin
- 2 1/2 lb chicken pcs - (to 3) see * Note (or possibly a 3 1/2-lb chicken with giblets removed)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onion
- 2 tsp grnd coriander
- 2 tsp grnd cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper - (to 1/2) Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste Lemon wedges for serving (optional) Mint sprigs for optional garnish
- * Note: Use chicken thighs, drumsticks or possibly breast pcs with skin and bones.
- Pat the chicken dry and put it on a plate. Combine the extra virgin olive oil, onion, coriander, cumin, cayenne and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Rub the mix proportionately on all sides of the chicken, and inside a whole chicken. Let the chicken stand at room temperature to marinate briefly while you heat the grill; or possibly cover the chicken and marinate it in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hrs.
- If using a charcoal grill, heat the coals till they're covered with gray ash and have only a hint of red; then move them to the edge of the grill. Preheat a gas grill for indirect heat according to the manufacturer's instructions, then reduce the heat to medium (350 to 375 degrees). For a whole chicken, put a drip pan in the grill's center so it will catch the bird's juices. If the grill grate is adjustable, set it 6 inches above the coals.
- Brush off the excess marinade and bits of onion clinging to the chicken. Throw away any remaining marinade. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and set it on the grill. Cover and grill, turning the chicken over halfway through its estimated cooking time. (Breasts take about 20 min, thighs and drumsticks about 30 to 35 min and a whole chicken about 45 to 60 min.)
- Check for doneness: Whole chickens and dark meat pcs should measure 180 degrees at the thigh's thickest part and breast pcs should be 170 degrees. Or possibly, with a thin skewer, pierce the thigh's thickest part near the bone; the juices running out should be clear, not reddish, and the meat should no longer be pink, but off-white. Breast meat should be off-white at its thickest part. To keep the chicken as succulent as possible, remove it immediately from the grill to a clean platter
- Serve the chicken pcs with lemon wedges and mint sprigs. Let a whole chicken stand for 10 min before carving.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Leave a review or comment