Grilled Chicken TikkaPrep: 10 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 6by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
I adapted this recipe from Steven Raichlen's The Barbecue Bible for a super bowl party. I added paprika and cumin and made a few other small changes. It came out amazingly flavorful and tender. I hope you'll try it!
- 10 chicken thighs (or mix of thighs and legs)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (or 3 cardamom pods ground)
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (up to 1 tsp if you want extra spicy)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 drops orange or red food coloring (optional)
- Rinse the chicken pieces, discard the skin, dry with a paper towel, and sprinkle generously with Kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, combine the cardamom, garlic and ginger and pound to a coarse paste with a pestle or in a mini chopper or spice grinder. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the yogurt, lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, cumin, turmeric, food coloring, and salt to taste (about 1 tsp). Pour the marinade over the chicken and turn to coat all over. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours.
- Preheat the grill to high and oil the grate. Turn the grill down to medium and arrange the pieces on the grate. Grill them about 10 minutes per side, dipping in or brushing with any remainingl marinade when you turn. Transfer to a serving plate and let sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- We served with basmati rice and a caesar salad. We made two pieces with half as much cayenne for our youngest child.
Leave a review or comment