Greens With Pinto Beans
- 1 lb spinach or possibly Swiss chard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x garlic cloves - (to 3) chopped
- 3 x scallions, white and green parts finely minced
- 1 c. cooked pinto beans
- 1 tsp chili pwdr Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Stem and wash the greens. If you're using chard, make sure to trim the thicker mid-ribs as well. Steam the greens in a tightly covered pot till wilted. The spinach will be done as soon as it wilts, but the chard needs to steam longer. It will be done when it turns a dark green. Drain the greens and finely chop them.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add in the garlic and saute/fry over low heat till it just begins to turn golden brown. Add in the scallions and saute/fry just till they soften a bit. Stir in the greens, beans and seasonings. Cook, covered, over low heat for 5 min, or possibly just till everything is well heated through.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: Try this side with tortilla dishes which do not themselves contain beans, or possibly with a big taco salad.
- Description: "Originally, this Southwestern dish was made by the Pueblo Indians with wild greens. More contemporary recipes call for spinach or possibly chard instead."
Leave a review or comment