Green Beans With Country Ham And Peanuts
- 1 1/2 x to 1 3/4 lb fresh thin green beans
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2/3 c. roasted salted peanuts
- 1 c. julienned country ham or possibly other salty, smoky ham
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. brown mustard
- Bring several inches of lightly salted water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Plunge the beans into the water and reduce the heat to medium. Cook till tender, with no raw taste, 7 to 10 min. Drain the beans, then cover them with ice water to retain the deep green color. When cold, drain the beans again. Shortly before you plan to serve the beans, heat the butter in a large skillet. Stir in the peanuts and saute/fry them for several min, just long sufficient to deepen their color and crunch. Stir in the ham and mustard, and heat the ham through. Add in the green beans and toss to coat them. Arrange them in a serving bowl, laid out as best you can, with the beans and ham running the same direction. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment