Grandmother’s Handkerchief & Sausage Soup (Fazzoletto di nonna e la zuppa di salsiccia)Prep: 2 hours Cook: 45 min Servings: 8by Windle Grissett15 recipes>
A friend of mines mom was making pasta sheets, which I thought was to be for ravioli or manicotti crepes. Turns out she was making something I never heard of "grandmother's handkerchief". I decided to combine this with a soup recipe. Enjoy!!
- Pasta Ingredients:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soup Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage, ¼ inch sliced
- 1 lg. white onion, sliced
- 1 lg. red onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chiffonade
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 each red, green, yellow bell peppers, julienned
- 1 ½ cups medium mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 pieces of handkerchief pasta, cooked
- Directions for Pasta:
- Mix salt and flour together.
- In the middle of a rolling surface or table pour the flour mix.
- In the middle of the flour form a well and pour eggs in.
- Mix egg and flour until dough ball forms.
- Using a rolling pin roll thin with flour.
- Cut into 3X3 inch squares. Fold squares like the first two folds of a paper airplane. Allow pasta to rest at least 10 minutes before use. Cook fresh or let dry.
- Drop into boiling hot chicken broth or boiling water. Boil for 8-15 minutes or until al dente.
- Directions for Soup:
- In a large stock pot (10-12 quarts), pour in oil and heat to smoke point.
- Add onions, carrot and mushrooms, sautÃ© til onions are translucent.
- Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- While cooking alternate adding herbs beginning with thyme, marjoram, sage, and garlic.
- Add bell peppers, constantly stirring add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat by half and cover, cook for 10 minutes occasionally stirring.
- Add chicken stock, bring to simmer.
- Place four pieces of pasta in each serving bowl, and ladle the soup over top.
- Garnish with fresh basil chiffonade, cilantro, or grated cheese
Leave a review or comment