Grandmas Milk TartPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 8by Peter Brown100 recipes>
A favourite South African Classic dating back to the Voortrekker days If you dont want to make the pastry use frozen puff pastry. This recipes comes from Bits of Carey
- 2 Tbs Butter not Margarine
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs separated
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup cake flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Blitz all the ingredients together in a food processor or with an electric beater until it all clumps together to form a dough.
- Press into a lightly greased 24 cm tart dish. Chill in the fridge while preparing the filling.
- Heat the milk in a medium pot(do not boil).
- Beat the yolks and sugar until creamy and light then add the flours and salt - the mixture will be quite thick.
- Add some warm milk to the egg mixture and then return all of it to the pot.
- Bring to the boil and whisk constantly until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form and fold into the custard.
- Pour into the chilled pastry case and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for +- 30 minutes.
Leave a review or comment