Grandma's Lemon Spice Marble Cake
- LEMON CAKE
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp baking pwdr
- 2 1/2 c. sifted flour SPICE CAKE
- 4 x egg yolks
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. molasses
- 1/2 c. soured lowfat milk separated
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp grnd cloves
- 1 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c. softed flour LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 6 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 4 c. powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp cool water - optional up to 3 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour two 9" round cake pans. Separate 4 Large eggs. Set aside egg yolks. Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form, set aside.
- Lemon Cake: Cream together sugar & butter in a medium bowl. Beat in lowfat milk & lemon extract. Stir the flour & baking pwdr together in separate bowl. Add in the flour mix to the creamed mix a third at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold egg whites into batter till completely blended.
- Spice Cake: Combine egg yolks, brown sugar, mlasses & butter together in a medium bowl. Beat till well blended. Pour 1 TBSP of the sour lowfat milk into a small bowl & stir in the baking soda till dissolved. Set aside. Add in the remainder of the sour lowfat milk to the molasses mix and beat well. Stir the flour & spices together in a spearate bowl. Add in the flour mix in the molasses mix a third at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the reserved sour lowfat milk baking soda mix & beat till well blended.
- TO PREPARE CAKE Drop small spoonfuls of lemon & spice batter alternately into prepared cake pans, dividing both batters proportionately between the two pans. Try to put mostly lemon batter around the edges, the spice batter puffs up more & may run over the pan edge while baking. Run a knife through the batter in each pan several times to increase the marbling effect. Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 min or possibly till toothpick inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean. Cold 15 min, remove from pans. Cold completely. Frost with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting: Blend together cream cheese, lemon juice & lemon peel. Add in the powdered sugar gradually, blending well. If frosting is too stiff to spread, blend in cool water 1/2 tsp at a time till desired consistency is reached.
Leave a review or comment