Gingerbread Trifle with Lemon Curd & Whipped Cream (can be *'Tipsy' if desired)Prep: 2 hours Cook: 35 - 40 min Servings: 18by KarenB6 recipes>
Lot's of LEMONS! This is a crowd pleaser! The picture shows 2 layers - I did 3 layers. To take pressure off I made the Gingerbread cake 2 days before (plastic wrapped it & refrigerated) & the Lemon Curd the day before & refrigerated that too. 2 hours before the party I whipped the cream & assembled the Trifle & kept in fridge til serving. *I decided to get crazy & made 'Candied Lemon Peel' to decorate the top = I found recipe on Google for that. Total Time: 2 hours for Trifle Hands On Time: 1 hour Yield: 18 servings
- Ingredients for Gingerbread Trifle with Lemon Curd & Whipped Cream:
- 1 Gingerbread Cake recipe * ( The full recipe for this cake is down below the recipe for this Gingerbread Trifle with Lemon Curd & Whipped Cream = at the end under 'directions')
- Zest and juice of 5 lemons (or 1/2 cup lemon juice)
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 5 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whiskey (8 tablespoons), divided * omit if not making it an adult 'Tipsy' dessert = Or just put on very bottom layer ! (Make the adults dig for it!)
- * Prepare the Gingerbread cake according to the instructions below these directions*. Cool completely. Can make a day or 2 before - wrap & refrigerate.
- For the Lemon Curd:
- In the bowl of a food processor with a steel blade, add lemon zest and sugar. Pulse until the zest is finely minced into the sugar. In a separate bowl, cream the butter, and beat in the sugar/lemon mixture. Add the eggs one at a time, then the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined. Pour the mixture into a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until thickened (at about 170°, just below simmer), about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool or refrigerate until ready to use. I made this the day before.
- For the Whipped Cream:
- Place the heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla in a cold metal bowl, and whip until soft peaks form.
- To assemble the Trifle:
- Cut the cake into 1-inch cubes. In a trifle bowl or a 2-1/2-quart glass serving bowl, layer one-third of the cake cubes, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of whiskey. Top with half of the lemon curd, then one-third of the whipped cream. Repeat the layers, ending with the last of the whipped cream on the final layer of cake. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.
- Recipe For *Gingerbread Cake*
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for baking pan
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for baking pan
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat your oven to 350° and set a rack to the middle position. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- In the large bowl of a standing or handheld mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and continue beating. Add the molasses and beat well. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour with the baking soda, spices, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients; then add the hot water. Stir gently until the batter is just smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool;
Leave a review or comment