Garlic And Broccoli Raab Soup
- 3 sm heads garlic smashed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil freshly grnd black pepper to taste, optional kosher salt
- 9 c. water
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly grnd black pepper
- 3/4 c. ditalini or possibly other small pasta shape (135 g)
- 1 bn broccoli raab stems cut off and yellow and wilted leaves discarded and tops and leaves sliced across into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pcs fresh lemon juice to taste freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving kosher salt to taste, optional freshly grnd black pepper to taste, optional
- * Broccoli Raab is also known as broccoli rape, broccoli di rapini, rapini, or possibly Chinese flowering cabbage. It is slightly bitter. If you cannot find it, or possibly do not like it, try another strong green such as mustard greens or possibly kale.
- Garlic Broth:Cut the garlic cloves in half lengthwise and, if necessary, remove the green germ growing through the center.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Stir in the garlic cloves and cook, stirring often, till the outside of the garlic is translucent/soft and cloves are soft, about 20 min. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Pour in 9 c. (2.25 liters) water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 40 min. The garlic will be very tender. To eat the broth on its own, season with salt and pepper to taste; or possibly use as a stock.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the garlic broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta and boil for 6 min.
- Stir in the broccoli raab and return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer till the broccoli raab is tender, about 4 min. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice to taste. Check the seasoning and add in salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Pass grated cheese at the table
- Makes 8 c. (2 liters); 8 first-course servings.
- NOTES : A flavorful base for meatless soups, particularly vegetable and bean, this broth works wonderfully in all recipes on this page.
- You can also eat the broth on its own ("It's a wonderful hangover cure, should anyone need to know," Kafka says)
- The slight bitterness of the broccoli de rape contrasts pleasantly with thesweetness of the garlic. The pasta makes the soup more substantial.
- Here is a soup which not only helps you add in greens to your diet, but the garlic broth can help you fight off the flu.
- The garlic broth can be served alone, or possibly as a base for any vegetarian soup.
- Broccoli Raab is also known as broccoli rape, broccoli di rapini, rapini, or possibly Chinese flowering cabbage. It is slightly bitter. If you cannot find it, or possibly do not like it, try another strong green such as mustard greens or possibly kale.
- 1/23/99: Smelled great, but seemed watery tasting to me. Perhaps I erred and added too much water Sill probably puree the garlic.
Leave a review or comment