Garden Vegetable Soup with RicePrep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 6by Rich H61 recipes>
It may be spring but in my book there is never a bad time for soup. It's especially nice when you can grow yor own veggies or get them locally from a farmers' market. While we're not quite there yet, this is a great soup to make anytime. It's hearty and healthy and just plain hits the spot!
- 3 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup of V-8 or your favorite vegetable juice
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 2 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 1 pkg. of boil-in-bag brown rice
- 3/4 cup of green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. of cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- In a large saucepan or stew pot, saute onion, carrot and garlic
- in olive oil, over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, V-8, tomato paste, beans, cabbage, basil,
- oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Pour the rice from
- the packaged bag into the soup and stir to mix.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in
- the zucchini, stir and heat through for another 2 minutes.<br>
- Serve hot.
Leave a review or comment