Frijoles Refritos, or Refried BeansPrep: 10 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 8by Kathleen is Cooking in Mexico7 recipes>
"Refried" beans in Mexico means well cooked, not cooked again. Frijoles refritos are served on the side for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Use them for making Huevos Rancheros, burritos or as the base for a Mexican inspired dip.
- 4 cups cooked black beans, including some broth (bean liquid)
- 4-6 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- dry, crumbly cheese, such as cotija seco or ranchero seco (optional)
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook onion until starting to turn golden brown.
- Add cooked beans and mash beans with a potato masher while cooking over medium heat. Leave some pieces of bean for texture.
- When the beans begin to dry out along the edges and are heated thoroughly, turn out onto a plate and garnish with a dry, salty cheese, such as queso aÃ±ejo or queso seco.
Leave a review or comment