Fried Sweet Potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3 lrg Sweet potatoes peeled, cut 1/4" lengthwise strips
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher or possibly coarse salt
- In a large heavy saucepan or possibly deep-fat fryer, heat 4 to 5 inches of vegetable oil to 360 degrees.
- Rub the potato strips with the salt. Fry the potatoes, in several batches to prevent overcrowding and sticking, for 2 to 3 min, till cooked through but not colored. Be sure to return the oil to 360 degrees before cooking the next batch, or possibly the potatoes will absorb too much oil and be greasy. Set the potatoes aside on paper towels till you have finished cooking all of them, then increase the temperature of the oil to 390 degrees.
- Refry the potatoes, again in batches. This time they will take very little time to become crisp, golden brown-brown, and puffy (keep the first batches hot in a low oven while you finish frying, and again be sure to return the oil to 390 degrees for the subsequent batches). Remove with a slotted spoon to drain briefly on paper towels. Serve while warm.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment