Four Cheese & Sausage Stuffed ManicottiPrep: 25 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 8by Salad Foodie404 recipes>
Cheese-stuffed manicotti personifies comfort food anytime, but take it up a notch with a cheese four-some and Italian sausage and it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. This was inspired by a few pasta manufacturer web site recipes, but I added my own spin here and there and was pleasantly surprised how well they worked. Oh Mama-Mia, this is good!
- 8 ounce box manicotti pasta
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage (or alternate sausage desired - chicken, turkey, etc.)
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounce jar prepared marinara sauce
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Prepare pasta according to package directions to al dente stage (do not overcook); drain.
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven pan over medium heat. Crumble in and brown the sausage, stirring. Drain excess fat away. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until it reduces and thickens.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl combine 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese with ricotta, provolone and Parmesan cheeses, egg and parley. Mix well and stuff it into the cooked manicotti.
- Spread half of the marinara/meat sauce on bottom of greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti over sauce. Spoon remaining sauce over top of pasta.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil; top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered 5 -10 minutes longer til cheese is melted.
Leave a review or comment