Fish CutletPrep: 30 min Cook: 1 hours Servings: 20by Bidisha1 recipe>
This is a typical Bengali style of cooking and is served as snack to the guests or no special occasions in almost every household. West Bengal is in the eastern part of India. Bengalis are known to be fish lovers so much so that have it every day as a daily diet almost like Americans eat Burgers! Keep checking for new Fish recipes on my site.
- Tinned Tun fish in water - 300 gm
- Potato - 3 medium size boiled and mashed (lesser than the fish)
- Onion - 1 medium sized chopped
- Ginger paste - 2 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli paste/chopped - 2 tsp/as per taste (can be avoided)
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp dry roasted
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp (cinmon, cardamon, cloves in equal quantity)
- Salt to taste
- Egg - 2
- Bread crumbs - 1 cup or more
- Oil to deep fry - atleast 1 and 1/2 inch of the pan you are using
- Boil the potatoes with salt and mash them well.
- Take 2 tblspn oil in a non-stick pan.
- Fry the onion till it starts to change the colour.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry well.
- Drain the water from the tinned fish and add them.
- Add the chilli paste, turmeric, cumin powder, salt and reduce the flame to medium-low heat.
- Cover the lid of the pan.
- Keep stirring in between and check the fish should not stick to the bottom.
- Keep frying till the raw smell of the spices are gone and the fish is well cooked.
- Add the mashed potato and stir for a minute or two.
- Add garam masala and switch off the flame and keep it covered.
- After its cool enough to keep on the palm, make equal potions of circular or oval shapes around 20 or more as per your choice.
- Beat the eggs well and place on a flattened plate.
- On another flat plate place bread crumbs.
- Take a deep frying pan and heat oil to fry.
- Take the cutlet and dip it into the egg.
- Remove it from the egg and roll it well on the bread crumbs.
- Dust the excess breadcrmbs and place it slowly into the oil.
- Fry on medium heat till the colour starts to change to light brown and then fry the other side.
- Remove the cutlet on a paper towel to soak excess oil.
- Sprinkle a pinch of black salt on the cutlets & serve them hot along with good portion of shredded salad with tomato ketchup or capsicum dip or green chutney.
- Don't overcook the fish and make it dry.
- Let this mixture cool down.
- While rolling on breadcrumbs excess of it should be avoided. If the breadcrumb is in excess, they will burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Always fry in medium heat to cook the entire cutlet or the middle portion may not cook well.
- In case tinned fish is not available:
- - tun fish is not available or you have any other fish of your choice, you could use the same.
- - Choose a fish with less or just a single thick bone, my favorite is Bhetki(Red snapper) when its available.
- - Cook the fish in salted water. Let it cook and remove the bones carefully.
- - Further recipe follows as usual.
Leave a review or comment