Fantastic Chile-Coriander ChickenPrep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
This is another amazing recipe that I adapted from the Barbecue Bilble by Steven Raichlen. He got it from a food stand in Bombay that is famous throughout the city for it's amazing flavors. Try this chicken and you will understand why. It is truly delicious! My wife really loves the dipping sauce too. It's fantastic with or without.
- 8 chicken leg and thigh pieces (4 of each) or 1 whole chicken cut into eight pieces (4 pounds total)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water, or more as needed
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp hot paprika (you can add some cayenne if you don't have kids or others afraid of heat eating it)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Thinly sliced red onion for garnish (optional)
- Wedges of lime or lemon for garnish (optional)
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken pieces and rinse under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Place the pieces in a baking dish large enough to hold them side by side in one layer while you prepare the paste.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and add the coriander and cumin seeds and the black peppercorns. Toast for 2-3 minutes shaking the skillet occasionally. Let cool then transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice mill and grind them into a powder.
- Combined the ground spices in a blender or mini-chopper with the garlic, ginger, oil, water, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne if desired, and salt. Process to a smooth paste, adding water if needed so that is is just pourable. Add the cilantro and pulse a few times to mix.
- Using your hands, spread the seasoning paste over the chicken pieces to coat on both sides, then cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or more.
- To cook in a pan:
- Spray or coat a large saute pan with oil and put over medium high. Place the chicken pieces in the pan close to each other but not touching. Put a lid on the pan. Remove lid and turn the chicken every 3-4 minutes for the first 12 minutes. Then turn the heat down to medium and cook, covered for another 10 minutes or so.
- To bake:
- Preheat oven to 425. Place baking sheet with chicken in oven. After about 10 minutes, turn the chicken once. After another 10 minutes chicken should be ready to remove. Check for doneness by inserting a knife in the thickest part of a thigh to see if the juices run clear, since different ovens cook differently.
- To grill:
- Preheat grill to high. Oil the grill grate, remove chicken pieces from the baking dish and arrange on the grate. Grill, turning with tongs until the juices run clear when a skewer or sharp knife is inserted in the thickest part of a thigh...6-10 minutes per side (12 -20 minutes total).
- Transfer the chicken legs to a serving platter and serve immediately garnished with onion and lemon as desired.
- Serve with the Afghan Coriander Sauce linked to below.
Leave a review or comment